Christmas 2010 was full of wonderment as we enjoyed seeing it through Alaina's eyes. She absolutely fell in love with the Christmas cartoons we enjoyed as children -- Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer, The Grinch (or "The Pinch" as she called him), and Charlie Brown's Christmas. She learned a few of the words to "Jingle Bells" and would sing and dance to it whenever she heard the song.
We started a new Christmas tradition with Alaina this year: we were visited by the Elf on the Shelf whom she named "Ziggy." The story goes that each night the elf returns to the North Pole to report to Santa Claus on the behavior of the child/children in the house. Every morning the elf is in a new place in the house and it becomes a sort of a game. Every morning the first thing Alaina would do when coming downstairs was look for Ziggy. It was very cute!
Another new tradition we began this year was going to the tree farm to chop down our own tree. No more going to the lot and buying a pre-cut tree. No sir! We're going to do it the old-fashioned way and chop it down ourselves (well, at least Rob will chop it down). We had a great time picking out our tree and cutting it down. What a beautiful Douglas Fir it was too!
Christmas Day was absolutely wonderful! Christmas morning was so peaceful and the three of us enjoyed sitting around the tree opening our gifts as a family. Alaina really enjoyed opening her gifts this year and was more than willing to open Mommy & Daddy's presents too.
Alaina made out like a champ at Christmas; I'm so glad that she's not spoiled at all (sense my sarcasm here):
- MeMe and BawBaw (my parents) gave her a set of Scooby Doo DVDs (or "DeeDo" as Alaina calls him), some books, a baby doll, a doll bed & high chair, some new clothes, and the Weeble treehouse
- MeMaw & PePaw (Rob's parents) gave her a Leapster Tag Junior and accompanying books. It's fun to see her sitting on the couch with her reader as she "reads" the books to herself. They also gave her some washable fingerpaints and a Scooby Doo stuffed animal.
- Pappy (Rob's dad) gave her one of the Llama Llama books
- Aunt Cindy, Uncle Bill, Lauren & Andrew gave her some really neat gifts including a puppet, a baby doll, two Blue's Clues beany babies and a DVD, a book, a remote control puppy, and a color & shape sorter
- Uncle Jeffrey & Aunt Michelle gave her a personalized bath towel and mit from Land's End, a set of magnets that spell out her name, and a set of Legos.
- Uncle JB and his girlfriend got her some really neat Zhu Zhu Pet accessories to add to her ever-growing Zhu Zhu Pet town.
- Lucy gave her an "Alive" white tiger cub
She absolutely adores her new toys and has had lots of fun playing with them this past week. However, Rob and I are wondering where we're going to put everything. I have a feeling that we'll be converting the basement into PlayLand sooner rather than later.