Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Fish

What kid doesn't like fish?! This afternoon we bought a small aquarium and six little goldfish for Alaina. Okay, she's not the only one who likes the fish -- Rob and I think they're pretty neat too.

We bought 3 orange goldfish and 3 multi-colored fish but now we're on Death Watch. The guy at the pet store told me that it is not uncommon to go through many fish at first until the water gets some bacteria in it. Apparently ultra-clean water with fluoride in it can actually kill the fish. Who knew? The self-proclaimed "Fish Expert" at the store told me all sorts of useless trivia about goldfish... including to never bang on the glass because fish only have a memory of 3 seconds and tapping on the glass scares them and can cause premature death. I digress.

But now back to our tank! We bought a 10 gallon aquarium and have it set up in the living room. Alaina really likes to watch the little fishies swim around and I must admit, I like it too. They make me smile!

1/17/10 Update: We lost 2 calico fantail goldfish within the first 48 hours so we got 2 replacement orange fantail goldfish and now they just died. So we're back down to 4 fish (3 gold and 1 calico) -- still debating whether or not to go get 2 more.

No comments:

Post a Comment